Purchase of paper gold, silver on OCBC app exceeds $1m in first week
An OCBC Bank initiative to enable investors to buy and sell gold and silver has seen around $1 million worth of the precious metals traded since Oct 25, the bank said on Friday (Nov 5).
Investors can now instantly set up an account to trade gold and silver in real time in quantities as low as 0.01 ounces (0.28g) on OCBC's mobile banking app. That amount of gold would cost about $25 while the silver would be 35 Singapore cents.
The bank said it is the only financial institution in South-east Asia providing this service.
The move aims to make it easier for investors to trade in precious metals by avoiding the costs and hassle associated with the logistics, storage and security that comes with owning the physical assets.
In the past, Singaporeans had to wait for several days before their account to invest in precious metals was approved or they had to visit a bank branch or retailer to buy physical gold bars and worry about where to store them securely.
Demand for precious metals has climbed since the coronavirus pandemic struck last year. The price of gold has risen 45 per cent since March last year while silver has shot up 60 per cent.
World Gold Council data shows that Singaporeans had traded around 2.7 tonnes of gold in the second quarter of 2021, up 125 per cent year on year.
Younger investors are taking an interest in gold too. Around 70 per cent of investors on the precious metals portfolio on OCBC RoboInvest - a service on the OCBC Digital app - are under 40.
Investments on the portfolio have risen at about 5 per cent month on month this year and continue to make up 5 per cent of overall monthly investments on the platform. Investments in precious metals on OCBC RoboInvest have grown 30 per cent year on year.
OCBC executive director of investment strategy Vasu Menon said buying gold is one way to protect investment portfolios as the precious metal often serves as a hedge against risks.
"Gold lacks credit or default risks and it is not linked to corporate fundamentals which may deteriorate. Gold prices tend to go up when interest rates go down along with a weak economy," he noted.
Your first pot of gold and silver
To diversify your portfolio with gold and silver, open a Precious Metals Account and start investing today. You can buy these precious metals conveniently on the OCBC Digital app, with no sales charge or custody fee, and no holding of physical assets. Starting from as low as approximately 25 SGD for gold or 0.35 SGD for silver, you can easily and conveniently hedge your investments with these safe haven assets.
Source: The Straits Times © SPH Media Limited. Permission required for reproduction.
Scan to start application:
This advertisement has not been reviewed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
- Any opinions or views of third parties expressed in this document are those of the third parties identified, and do not represent views of Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (“OCBC Bank”, “us”, “we” or “our”).
- This information is intended for general circulation and / or discussion purposes only. It does not consider the specific investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person.
- Before you make an investment, please seek advice from your Relationship Manager regarding the suitability of any investment product taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
- If you choose not to do so, you should consider if the investment product is suitable for you, and conduct your own assessments and due diligence on the investment product.
- We are not making an offer, solicit to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument, enter into any transaction or participate in any trading or investment strategy with you through this document. Nothing in this document shall be deemed as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument or to enter into any transaction or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy.
- No representation or warranty whatsoever in respect of any information provided herein is given by OCBC Bank and it should not be relied upon as such. OCBC Bank does not undertake an obligation to update the information or to correct any inaccuracy that may become apparent at a later time. All information presented is subject to change without notice.
- OCBC Bank shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person acting on any information provided herein.
- Investments are subject to investment risks, including the possible loss of the principal amount invested. The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures, predictions or projections are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance.
- Any reference to a company, financial product or asset class is used for illustrative purposes and does not represent our recommendation in any way.
- The information in and contents of this document may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part without the Bank’s written consent.
- OCBC Bank, its related companies, and their respective directors and/or employees (collectively “Related Persons”) may, or might have in the future, interests in the investment products or the issuers mentioned herein. Such interests include effecting transactions in such investment products, and providing broking, investment banking and other financial services to such issuers. OCBC Bank and its Related Persons may also be related to, and receive fees from, providers of such investment products.
- You must read the Offer Document/Indicative Term Sheet/Product Highlight Sheet before deciding whether or not to purchase the investment product, copies of which may be obtained from your relationship manager.
- Any hyperlink to any third party article, or other website or webpage (including any websites or webpages owned, operated and maintained by third parties) is for informational purposes only and for your convenience only and is not an endorsement or verification of any such article, website or webpage by OCBC Bank and should only be accessed at your own risk. OCBC Bank does not review the contents of any such articles, website or webpage, and shall not be liable to any person for the same.
- There are links or hyperlinks which link you to websites of other third parties (the “Third Parties”). OCBC Bank hereby disclaims liability for any information, materials, products or services posted or offered on the website of the Third Parties.