Managing Director and Head of Equity Research,
Bank of Singapore, Member of OCBC Wealth Panel
Certain key structural trends were highlighted during the much anticipated 19th Party Congress last month and our view is that they offer potential investment opportunities over the medium to long-term, even as we maintain a Neutral recommendation on China offshore equities.Quality of growth versus speed of growth
The quality of China’s growth – instead of the speed of growth – was heavily emphasised by the new leadership team at the recent 19th Party Congress. An ambitious two-stage long-term development plan was tabled, which aims to transform China into one of the leading countries in innovation by 2035 with a sizeable middle-income population. By 2050, China will become an advanced socialist country with leading global influence.Structural trends
President Xi outlined the importance for China to find new growth momentum in areas like medium and high-end consumption, and to facilitate the transition towards a consumption-based economy with a sizeable middle-income population.
This could lend further support to domestic consumption growth. China’s domestic consumption has remained buoyant with consumer confidence index staying on its uptrend. In our view, this trend should be well supported by solid growth in income. The average income of urban and rural residents has been growing at a compound annual rate of 10 per cent and 13 per cent respectively over the past decade.
With this in mind, we believe some of the bigger names within the consumer sector would benefit. Key players in the travel service company will be among the top beneficiaries of rising middle class income in China.
Technological innovation has become one of the decisive factors for China’s growth and the quality of that growth going forward. There has been a heavy emphasis on the ability to innovate and to integrate internet, big data and artificial intelligence. As labour costs continue to rise, robotics revolution will also become important for industries upgrade. At the same time, financial technology has seen a rapid development, in response to China’s fast e-commerce penetration and under-served retail banking customers.
However, while information technology will offer medium and long-term growth, investors should be mindful of the sector’s valuations. We view any share price pullback in the IT sector as potential accumulation opportunities. Environmental protection is another area of focus for the Chinese government, with priority on water conservation and the fight against air and soil pollution. Further clarity on policy support in addressing environmental issues would provide catalysts for this lagging sector to catch up with performance.Relaxation in real estate tightening measures is unlikely
Amid rising home prices, the view that housing is for accommodation and not for speculation was reiterated at the 19th Party Congress. The government also vowed to set up a system with supply from various parties. We are cautious on the sector and do not expect any loosening in property regulatory policies in in the near term. Real estate has been the best performing sector year-to-date, having risen by 96 per cent and substantially outperformed MSCI China.
As a result, the sector will likely to come under profit taking pressure. Within the sector, investors should be selective and focus on beneficiaries of market consolidation moves, while avoiding those with a substantial land bank holding in tier three or four cities.What’s next?
Looking ahead, the upcoming key events to watch out for include the Central Economic Work Conference around the period of December 2017-January 2018, where economic policies will be discussed and announced; the National People’s Congress in March next year will be where the growth targets are usually announced.
The information provided herein is intended for general circulation and/or discussion purposes only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person. The information in this document is not intended to constitute research analysis or recommendation and should not be treated as such.
Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, please seek advice from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of any investment product taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs before you make a commitment to purchase the investment product. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, you should consider whether the product in question is suitable for you. This does not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument or to enter into a transaction or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy.
The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward looking statement regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance. Any reference to any specific company, financial product or asset class in whatever way is used for illustrative purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation on the same.
OCBC Bank, its related companies and their respective directors and/or employees may have positions or other interests in, and may effect transactions in products mentioned and may also perform or seek to perform broking and other financial services to any persons or entities mentioned.
No representation or warranty whatsoever (including without limitation any representation or warranty as to accuracy, usefulness, adequacy, timeliness or completeness) in respect of any information (including without limitation any statement, figures, opinion, view or estimate) provided herein is given by OCBC Bank and it should not be relied upon as such. OCBC Bank does not undertake an obligation to update the information or to correct any inaccuracy that may become apparent at a later time. All information presented is subject to change without notice. OCBC Bank shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person acting on any information provided herein.
The contents hereof may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part without OCBC Bank's written consent.
The contents are a summary of the investment ideas and recommendations set out in Bank of Singapore and OCBC Bank reports. Please refer to the respective research report for the interest that the entity might have in the investment products and/or issuers of the securities.
Cross-Border Marketing Disclaimer
1. Hong Kong SAR: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited ("OCBC Bank") is an Authorized Institution as defined in the Banking Ordinance of Hong Kong (Cap 155), regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority in Hong Kong and a Registered Institution as defined in the Securities Futures Ordinance of Hong Kong (Cap. 571), regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong. This document is for information only and is not intended for anyone other than the recipient. It has not been reviewed by any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. It is not by itself an offer or a solicitation to deal in any of the financial products referred to herein or to enter into any legal relations, nor an advice or a recommendation with respect to such financial products. It does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation, investment experience and the particular needs of any recipient or Investor. This document may not be published, circulated, reproduced or distributed in whole or in part to any other person without the Bank’s prior written consent. This document is not intended for distribution to, publication or use by any person in any jurisdiction outside Hong Kong, or such other jurisdiction as the Bank may determine in its absolute discretion, where such distribution, publication or use would be contrary to applicable law or would subject the Bank and its related corporations, connected persons, associated persons and/or affiliates to any registration, licensing or other requirements within such jurisdiction.
2. Indonesia: The offering of the investment product in reliance of this document is not registered under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations, and is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations. According, this investment product may not be offered or sold, directly or indirectly, within Indonesia or to citizens (wherever they are domiciled or located), entities or residents, in any manner which constitutes a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations.
3. Japan: The information contained in this document is for general reference purposes only. It does not have regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation, risk tolerance and particular needs. Nothing in this document constitutes an offer to buy or sell or an invitation to offer to buy or sell or a recommendation or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities or investment. We do not have any intention of conducting regulated business in Japan. You acknowledge that nothing in this document constitutes investment or financial advice or any advice of any nature.
4. Malaysia: OCBC Bank does not hold any licence, registration or approval to carry on any regulated business in Malaysia (including but not limited to any businesses regulated under the Capital Markets & Services Act 2007 of Malaysia), nor does it hold itself out as carrying on or purport to carry on any such business in Malaysia. Any services provided by OCBC Bank to residents of Malaysia are provided solely on an offshore basis from outside Malaysia, either as a result of “reverse enquiry” on the part of the Malaysian residents or where OCBC Bank has been retained outside Malaysia to provide such services. As an integral part of the provision of such services from outside Malaysia, OCBC Bank may from time to time make available to such residents documents and information making reference to capital markets products (for example, in connection with the provision of fund management or investment advisory services outside of Malaysia). Nothing in such documents or information is intended to be construed as or constitute the making available of, or an offer or invitation to subscribe for or purchase any such capital markets product.
5. Myanmar: The relevant Bank entities do not hold any licence or registration under the FIML or other Myanmar legislation to carry on, nor do they purport to carry on, any regulated activity in Myanmar. All activities relating to the client are conducted strictly on an offshore basis. The customers shall ensure that it is their responsibility to comply with all applicable local laws before entering into discussion or contracts with the Bank.
6. Oman: This document does not constitute a public offer of investment, securities or financial services in the Sultanate of Oman, as contemplated by the Commercial Companies Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 4/1974), Banking Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 114/2000) or the Capital Market Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 80/1998) and the Executive Regulations of the Capital Market Law (Ministerial Decision No. 1/2009) or an offer to sell or the solicitation of any offer to buy non-Omani investment products, securities or financial services and products in the Sultanate of Oman. This document is strictly private and confidential. It is being provided to a limited number of sophisticated investors solely to enable them to decide whether or not to make an offer to invest in financial products mentioned in this document, outside of the Sultanate of Oman, upon the terms and subject to the restrictions set out herein and may not be reproduced or used for any other purpose or provided to any person other than the original recipient. Additionally, this document is not intended to lead to the making of any contract within the territory or under the laws of the Sultanate of Oman. The Capital Market Authority of Oman and the Central Bank of Oman take no responsibility for the accuracy of the statements and information contained in this document or for the performance of the financial products mentioned in this document nor shall they have any liability to any person for damage or loss resulting from reliance on any statement or information contained herein.
7. South Korea: The document does not constitute an offer, solicitation or investment advertisement to trade in the investment product referred to in the document.
8. Taiwan: The provision of the information and the offer of the service concerned herewith have not been and will not be registered with the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan pursuant to relevant laws and regulations of Taiwan and may not be provided or offered in Taiwan or in circumstances which requires a prior registration or approval of the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan. No person or entity in Taiwan has been authorised to provide the information and to offer the service in Taiwan.
9. Thailand: Please note that neither OCBC Bank nor any other entities in the OCBC Bank’s group maintains any licences, authorisations or registrations in Thailand nor is any of the material and information contained, or the relevant securities or products specified herein approved or registered in Thailand. Interests in the relevant securities or products may not be offered or sold within Thailand. The attached information has been provided at your request for informational purposes only and shall not be copied or redistributed to any other person without the prior consent of OCBC Bank or its relevant entities and in no way constitutes an offer, solicitation, advertisement or advice of, or in relation to, the relevant securities or products by OCBC Bank or any other entities in OCBC Bank’s group in Thailand.
10. The Philippines: The information contained in this document is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Securities Regulation Code of the Philippines.
11. Dubai/U.A.E: This material is communicated by OCBC Bank. OCBC Bank is not a financial institution licensed in the United Arab Emirates and does not undertake banking or financial activities in the United Arab Emirates nor is it licensed to do so. This material is provided for information purposes only and is not financial advice or a financial promotion, nor is it intended to influence an investor's decision to invest. It is not to be construed as an offer to buy or sell or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any financial instruments or to participate in any particular trading strategy in any jurisdiction. The material is only intended for persons who fulfil the criteria to be classified as "deemed Professional Clients" as defined under the DFSA rules.
12. United Kingdom: The OCBC Bank is authorised and regulated in Singapore by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. The OCBC Bank is not authorised in the United Kingdom by the Financial Conduct Authority for the conduct of investment business. The services provided by the OCBC Bank are not covered by the UK’s Financial Services Compensation Scheme and neither the Prudential Regulation Authority nor the Financial Conduct Authority supervises or regulates the products or services provided by the OCBC Bank to UK residents.
13. United States of America: This product may not be sold or offered within the United States or to U.S. persons.
© Copyright 2017 - OCBC Bank | All Rights Reserved. Co. Reg. No.: 193200032W