“Given the prospects for tighter global monetary policy and extended stock valuations, we remain cautious on equities; but within the equities space we prefer the U.S. for its defensive traits and remain neutral on Europe.”
– Sean Quek, Head Equity Research, Bank of Singapore
Given our view that global monetary policy environment will become tighter, even as overall growth prospects seem to have peaked, we remain cautious on the outlook for equities.
With leading central banks owning 20 per cent of their government’s total debt and the ECB and BOJ balance sheets now bigger than the Fed’s, pressure is for the massive balance sheet expansion to finally come to an end. Also extended valuations provide limited support.
In the U.S., the recently concluded 2Q earnings season provided further boost to consensus earnings expectations. However, negative headlines from the White House, including the disbanding of pro-business councils, continued to mar hopes of a fiscal stimulus driven boost. Nevertheless, given our overall cautious view on global equities, U.S. equities remain more defensive.
Consensus earnings per share downgrades for Europe finally stabilised in August - after deteriorating steadily since peaking in May, despite signs of economic strength and positive earnings surprises. With ECB balance sheet surpassing the Fed’s in U.S. dollar terms, pressure for the central bank to start phasing out its quantitative easing is mounting. Near-term, financial market movements would continue to be dictated by clues on the ECB’s next move. As highlighted earlier, we see a less dovish central bank as the economic recovery continue to gain pace. Overall, we remain neutral on European equities.
The persistently strong yen continued to weigh on Japanese equities (in yen terms) in August. This is notwithstanding the robust 2Q economic growth, a relatively more positive earnings season and improving consensus EPS estimates. Fundamentally, we maintain our view that sustained re-rating of the market would require more meaningful structural reform to boost growth. To this end, Abe’s fading popularity is not encouraging. Hence, we see macro factors and movements of the JPY to remain key drivers for the market.
Asia ex-Japan equities have done very well this year posting strong double digit gains. However the region’s equities could bear the brunt again as the investors’ focus on the Fed and ECB’s balance sheet exit plans gain momentum. Also, notwithstanding the period of unexpected calm, trade war risks, especially between China and the US, remains real.
In Singapore, the equity market saw some profit taking pressures in August, with seasonal effects partly contributing to the equity market’s softer performance for the month. Near term, in the absence of potential catalysts, we expect the current consolidation phase may continue. One of the brighter spots on the ground remains the improvements in the local property market, where there have been more transactions and en-bloc sales.
The information provided herein is intended for general circulation and/or discussion purposes only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person.
Please seek advice from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of any investment product taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs before you make a commitment to purchase the investment product. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, you should consider whether the product in question is suitable for you.
OCBC Bank, its related companies and their respective directors and/or employees may have positions or other interests in, and may effect transactions in products mentioned and may also perform or seek to perform broking and other financial services to any persons or entities mentioned.
The information in this document is not intended to constitute research analysis or recommendation and should not be treated as such.
This does not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument or to enter into a transaction or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy.
Any opinions or views of third parties expressed in this material are those of the third parties identified, and not those of OCBC Group.
OCBC Group does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided herein at any time. All of the information provided herein may change any time without notice. You should not make any decisions without verifying its content. OCBC Group shall not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever as a result of any person acting on any information provided herein.
The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward looking statement regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance.
The contents hereof are considered proprietary information and may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part without OCBC Bank’s written consent.
Cross-Border Marketing Disclaimer
1. Hong Kong SAR: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (“OCBC Bank”) is an Authorized Institution as defined in the Banking Ordinance of Hong Kong (Cap 155), regulated by the Hong Kong Monetary Authority in Hong Kong. This document is for information only and is not intended for anyone other than the recipient. It has not been reviewed by any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. It is not an offer or a solicitation to deal in any of the financial products referred to herein or to enter into any legal relations, nor an advice or a recommendation with respect to such financial products. It does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and the particular needs of any recipient or Investor. This document may not be published, circulated, reproduced or distributed in whole or in part to any other person without the Bank’s prior written consent. This document is not intended for distribution to, publication or use by any person in any jurisdiction outside Hong Kong, or such other jurisdiction as the Bank may determine in its absolute discretion, where such distribution, publication or use would be contrary to applicable law or would subject the Bank and its related corporations, connected persons, associated persons and/or affiliates to any registration, licensing or other requirements within such jurisdiction.
2. Indonesia: The offering of the investment product in reliance of this document is not registered under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations, and is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations. According, this investment product may not be offered or sold, directly or indirectly, within Indonesia or to citizens (wherever they are domiciled or located), entities or residents, in any manner which constitutes a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations.
3. Japan: The information contained in this document is for general reference purposes only. It does not have regard to your specific investment objectives, financial situation, risk tolerance and particular needs. Nothing in this document constitutes an offer to buy or sell or an invitation to offer to buy or sell or a recommendation or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities or investment. We do not have any intention of conducting regulated business in Japan. You acknowledge that nothing in this document constitutes investment or financial advice or any advice of any nature.
4. Malaysia: OCBC Bank does not hold any licence, registration or approval to carry on any regulated business in Malaysia (including but not limited to any businesses regulated under the Capital Markets & Services Act 2007 of Malaysia), nor does it hold itself out as carrying on or purport to carry on any such business in Malaysia. Any services provided by OCBC Bank to residents of Malaysia are provided solely on an offshore basis from outside Malaysia, either as a result of “reverse enquiry” on the part of the Malaysian residents or where OCBC Bank has been retained outside Malaysia to provide such services. As an integral part of the provision of such services from outside Malaysia, OCBC Bank may from time to time make available to such residents documents and information making reference to capital markets products (for example, in connection with the provision of fund management or investment advisory services outside of Malaysia). Nothing in such documents or information is intended to be construed as or constitute the making available of, or an offer or invitation to subscribe for or purchase any such capital markets product.
5. Myanmar: The relevant Bank entities do not hold any licence or registration under the FIML or other Myanmar legislation to carry on, nor do they purport to carry on, any regulated activity in Myanmar. All activities relating to the client are conducted strictly on an offshore basis. The customers shall ensure that it is their responsibility to comply with all applicable local laws before entering into discussion or contracts with the Bank.
6. Oman: This document does not constitute a public offer of investment, securities or financial services in the Sultanate of Oman, as contemplated by the Commercial Companies Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 4/1974), Banking Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 114/2000) or the Capital Market Law of Oman (Royal Decree No. 80/1998) and the Executive Regulations of the Capital Market Law (Ministerial Decision No. 1/2009) or an offer to sell or the solicitation of any offer to buy non-Omani investment products, securities or financial services and products in the Sultanate of Oman. This document is strictly private and confidential. It is being provided to a limited number of sophisticated investors solely to enable them to decide whether or not to make an offer to invest in financial products mentioned in this document, outside of the Sultanate of Oman, upon the terms and subject to the restrictions set out herein and may not be reproduced or used for any other purpose or provided to any person other than the original recipient. Additionally, this document is not intended to lead to the making of any contract within the territory or under the laws of the Sultanate of Oman. The Capital Market Authority of Oman and the Central Bank of Oman take no responsibility for the accuracy of the statements and information contained in this document or for the performance of the financial products mentioned in this document nor shall they have any liability to any person for damage or loss resulting from reliance on any statement or information contained herein.
7. South Korea: The document does not constitute an offer, solicitation or investment advertisement to trade in the investment product referred to in the document.
8. Taiwan: The provision of the information and the offer of the service concerned herewith have not been and will not be registered with the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan pursuant to relevant laws and regulations of Taiwan and may not be provided or offered in Taiwan or in circumstances which requires a prior registration or approval of the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan. No person or entity in Taiwan has been authorised to provide the information and to offer the service in Taiwan.
9. Thailand: Please note that neither OCBC Bank nor any other entities in the OCBC Bank’s group maintains any licences, authorisations or registrations in Thailand nor is any of the material and information contained, or the relevant securities or products specified herein approved or registered in Thailand. Interests in the relevant securities or products may not be offered or sold within Thailand. The attached information has been provided at your request for informational purposes only and shall not be copied or redistributed to any other person without the prior consent of OCBC Bank or its relevant entities and in no way constitutes an offer, solicitation, advertisement or advice of, or in relation to, the relevant securities or products by OCBC Bank or any other entities in OCBC Bank’s group in Thailand.
10. The Philippines: The information contained in this document is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Securities Regulation Code of the Philippines.
11. Dubai/U.A.E: The information contained herein is exclusively addressed to the recipient. The offering of certain products in this document has not been and will not be registered with the United Arab Emirates Central Bank or the United Arab Emirates Securities & Commodities Authority. Products in this document are being offered or sold in the United Arab Emirates in circumstances which do not constitute a public offering or distribution of securities under the applicable laws and regulations of the United Arab Emirates. The distribution of the information contained herein by the recipient is prohibited.
12. United Kingdom: The OCBC Bank is authorised and regulated in Singapore by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. The OCBC Bank is not authorised in the United Kingdom by the Financial Conduct Authority for the conduct of investment business. The services provided by the OCBC Bank are not covered by the UK’s Financial Services Compensation Scheme and neither the Prudential Regulation Authority nor the Financial Conduct Authority supervises or regulates the products or services provided by the OCBC Bank to UK residents.
13. United States of America: This product may not be sold or offered within the United States or to U.S. persons.
© Copyright 2017 - OCBC Bank | All Rights Reserved. Co. Reg. No.: 193200032W