"In 2017, we expect volatility to remain elevated as markets continue to discover what a Trump presidency really represents. We remain cautious on equities and have upgraded U.S. equities from underweight to neutral for its defensive traits.”
- Sean Quek, Head Equity Research, Bank of Singapore
- Markets dived onto a reflationary trade even as the Republican’s sweep has widened the range of possible global growth and geopolitical outcomes. At the same time, the pace of Fed rate hikes is likely to accelerate. Further, ahead of the busy political agenda, European political risks lurk. Coupled with extended valuations, risk-reward remains unattractive. Hence, we remain cautious on equities. Regionally, we are neutral on the U.S. and cautious on Europe, Japan and Asia ex-Japan.
- The post-U.S. election rally to record levels - notwithstanding the rise in yields - suggests that the market sees growth acceleration outweighing the impact from higher rates. Clearly, there is not enough information at this stage to arrive at such a conclusion with conviction. Further, with the recent rise, valuations have become extended. Without more concrete details, the Trump reflation trade could run out of steam. Nevertheless, U.S. equities remain more defensive on a relative basis.
- Going into 2017, the risk of political contagion remains a potential overhang in Europe given the busy political calendar. In the meantime, negotiations between the U.K. and the EU are expected to kick-off. Also, consensus earnings growth for 2017 seems to be optimistic again. Combined with the region’s above-average price-to-earnings ratio, we remain cautious in European equities.
- In Japan, we maintain the view that investors would see beyond short-term stimulus, whether from monetary or fiscal policy and more sustained re-rating of Japanese equities would require more meaningful structural reforms that would boost Japan’s growth potential. Meanwhile, near-term, the market would continue to be driven mainly by movements of the Yen. Although valuations are not demanding, we remain cautious on Japanese equities.
- Asia ex-Japan equities bore the brunt of Trump’s victory. Besides fears of Trump-triggered trade war, growing expectations of faster Fed tightening also weighed on regional currencies. If Trump pursues his anti-trade policies, it is highly negative for Asia’s growth. Also, an accelerated Fed tightening phase would weigh on the region. Hence, although Asia Ex-Japan markets continue to trade at a discount to their Developed Market peers, risk-reward for the region has deteriorated.
Any opinions or views of third parties expressed in this material are those of the third parties identified, and not those of OCBC Bank. The information provided herein is intended for general circulation and/or discussion purposes only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person. Before you make any investment decision, please seek advice from your OCBC Relationship Manager regarding the suitability of any investment product taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from your OCBC Relationship Manager, you should carefully consider whether the product is suitable for you. This does not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument or to enter into any transaction or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy.
OCBC Bank, its related companies, their respective directors and/or employees (collectively ‘Related Persons’) may have positions in, and may effect transaction in the products mentioned herein. OCBC Bank may have alliances with the product providers, for which OCBC Bank may receive a fee. Product providers may also be Related Persons, who may be receiving fees from investors. OCBC Bank and the Related Person may also perform or seek to perform broking and other financial services for the product providers.
No representation or warranty whatsoever (including without limitation any representation or warranty as to accuracy, usefulness, adequacy, timeliness or completeness) in respect of any information (including without limitation any statement, figures, opinion, view or estimate) provided herein is given by OCBC Bank and it should not be relied upon as such. OCBC Bank does not undertake an obligation to update the information or to correct any inaccuracy that may become apparent at a later time. All information presented is subject to change without notice. OCBC Bank shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person acting on any information provided herein. The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance. Any reference to any specific company, financial product or asset class in whatever way is used for illustrative purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation on the same.
The contents hereof may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part without OCBC Bank’s written consent.
The information in this document is not intended to constitute research analysis or recommendation and should not be treated as such.Cross-Border Marketing Disclaimer
1. Indonesia: The offering of the investment product in reliance of this document is not registered under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations, and is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations. The investment product may not be offered or sold, directly or indirectly, within Indonesia or to citizens (wherever they are domiciled or located), entities or residents, in any manner which constitutes a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations.
2. Malaysia: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (“OCBC Bank”) does not hold any licence, registration or approval to carry on any regulated business in Malaysia (including but not limited to any businesses regulated under the Capital Markets & Services Act 2007 of Malaysia), nor does it hold itself out as carrying on or purport to carry on any such business in Malaysia. Any services provided by OCBC Bank to residents of Malaysia are provided solely on an offshore basis from outside Malaysia, either as a result of “reverse enquiry” on the part of the Malaysian residents or where OCBC Bank has been retained outside Malaysia to provide such services. As an integral part of the provision of such services from outside Malaysia, OCBC Bank may from time to time make available to such residents documents and information making reference to capital markets products (for example, in connection with the provision of fund management or investment advisory services outside of Malaysia). Nothing in such documents or information is intended to be construed as or constitute the making available of, or an offer or invitation to subscribe for or purchase any such capital markets product.
3. Myanmar: OCBC Bank does not hold any licence or registration under the FIML or other Myanmar legislation to carry on, nor do they purport to carry on, any regulated activity in Myanmar. All activities relating to the client are conducted strictly on an offshore basis. The customers shall ensure that it is their responsibility to comply with all applicable local laws before entering into discussion or contracts with the Bank.
4. Taiwan: The provision of the information and the offer of the service concerned herewith have not been and will not be registered with the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan pursuant to relevant laws and regulations of Taiwan and may not be provided or offered in Taiwan or in circumstances which requires a prior registration or approval of the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan. No person or entity in Taiwan has been authorised to provide the information and to offer the service in Taiwan.
5. Thailand: Please note that OCBC Bank does not maintain any licences, authorisations or registrations in Thailand nor is any of the material and information contained, or the relevant securities or products specified herein approved or registered in Thailand. Interests in the relevant securities or products may not be offered or sold within Thailand. The attached information has been provided at your request for informational purposes only and shall not be copied or redistributed to any other person without the prior consent of OCBC Bank or its relevant entities and in no way constitutes an offer, solicitation, advertisement or advice of, or in relation to, the relevant securities or products by OCBC Bank or any other entities in OCBC Bank’s group in Thailand.
6. Hong Kong SAR: This document is for information only and is not intended for anyone other than the recipient. It has not been reviewed by any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. It is not an offer or a solicitation to deal in any of the financial products referred to herein or to enter into any legal relations, nor an advice or a recommendation with respect to such financial products. It does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and the particular needs of any recipient or Investor. This document may not be published, circulated, reproduced or distributed in whole or in part to any other person without OCBC Bank’s prior written consent. This document is not intended for distribution to, publication or use by any person in any jurisdiction outside Hong Kong, or such other jurisdiction as the Bank may determine in its absolute discretion, where such distribution, publication or use would be contrary to applicable law or would subject the Bank and its related corporations, connected persons, associated persons and/or affiliates to any registration, licensing or other requirements within such jurisdiction.
© Copyright 2016 - OCBC Bank | All Rights Reserved.