Senior Investment Strategist, Wealth Management Singapore
Member of OCBC Wealth Panel
Bonuses tend to be viewed as rewards by employees, and, not surprisingly, the first instinct of many would be to try to find means of spending this “unexpected” windfall.
Savings and Investments
Before you succumb to temptation and spend your entire bonus, remember that the year ahead is filled with unprecedented economic and political uncertainties. The Singapore economy could face significant headwinds and job security cannot be taken for granted. We are about to enter unchartered waters, and in such a scenario, it’s best to be conservative and save a significant chunk of your bonus for potential thunderstorms ahead by placing it into a fixed deposit. You can then fall back on the funds if something unexpected happens on the job front to tide you over till you find another job. The peace of mind that comes with knowing you have sufficient funds to tide you over should you lose your job is priceless.
Linked to this is the consideration of how prepared you are for rainy days ahead. In other words, if you’ve not set aside an emergency fund that will be able to cover at least six months of your monthly expenses, then use your bonus to start one. Aside from the risk of job loss, the fund can also help you to cover other unforeseen events like unexpected medical expenses due to an illness or temporary disability due to an accident.
Alternatively, invest some of the savings in markets. This is not suitable for everyone and only relevant to those with a strong risk appetite and who have already set aside sufficient emergency funds. For those with a lower risk appetite, selected single premium endowment products can be considered, some of which offer guaranteed returns such as OCBC Bank’s Single Premium Special 1.88% 5-year endowment plan.
Debts and Retirement
Another factor that should come into play is what life stage a person is in. Naturally, a person who is planning to get married or a middle-aged couple with children will look at their bonuses differently from someone who is nearing retirement.
The middle-aged couple may have a longer term plan in mind, and may keep the money aside for their children’s tertiary education. Some may even use the money to settle debts like mortgage if they are working towards being debt-free as soon as possible.
Those nearing retirement, on the other hand, may treat themselves to a holiday abroad, provided they have been diligent in building their retirement nest egg. If they are still planning for their retirement, then they would probably use their bonus to meet this objective, like contributing to their Supplementary Retirement Scheme (SRS) account which can yield attractive income tax benefits, or investing their bonus into a less risky product that can yield decent returns.
Live a Little
For those who have adequately addressed the above factors, go ahead and treat yourself a little. After all, your bonus is something that you have worked hard for and you deserve to enjoy some of the fruits of your labour.
In a nutshell
- Singapore has outperformed the region
- REITs were the star performers
- Valuations are undemanding
- Privatisation theme is gathering momentum
- Oil has recovered from the lows
- LionGlobal Singapore Dividend Equity Fund is a good proxy to holding a diversified Singapore portfolio
Any opinions or views of third parties expressed in this material are those of the third parties identified, and not those of OCBC Bank. The information provided herein is intended for general circulation and/or discussion purposes only. It does not take into account the specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person. Before you make any investment decision, please seek advice from your OCBC Relationship Manager regarding the suitability off any investment product taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. In the event that you choose not to seek advice from your OCBC Relationship Manager, you should carefully consider whether the product is suitable for you. This does not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell or subscribe for any security or financial instrument or to enter into any transaction or to participate in any particular trading or investment strategy. OCBC Bank, its related companies, their respective directors and/or employees (collectively Related Persons') may have positions in, and may effect transaction in the products mentioned herein. OCBC Bank may have alliances with the product providers, for which OCBC Bank may receive a fee. Product providers may also be Related Persons, who may be receiving fees from investors. OCBC Bank and the Related Person may also perform or seek to perform broking and other financial services for the product providers.
The information in this material is not intended to constitute research analysis or recommendation and should not be treated as such.
The contents of this material are a summary of the investment ideas and recommendations set out in OCBC Investment Research and Group Treasury research reports. Please refer to the respective research report for the interest that the entity might have in the investment products and/ or issuers of the securities.
Foreign currency investments or deposits are subject to inherent exchange rate fluctuation that may provide opportunities and risks. Earnings on foreign currency investments or deposits would be dependent on the exchange rates prevalent at the time of their maturity if any conversion takes place. Exchange controls may be applicable from time to time to certain foreign currencies. Any pre-termination costs will be deducted from your deposit.
For fund investments, a copy of the prospectus of each fund is available and may be obtained from the relevant fund manager or any of its approved distributors. You should read the prospectus for details on the relevant fund before deciding whether to subscribe for, or purchase units in the fund. The value of the units in the funds and the income accruing to the units, if any, may fall or rise. Please refer to the prospectus of the relevant fund for the name of the fund manager and the investment objectives of the fund.
No representation or warranty whatsoever (including without limitation any representation or warranty as to accuracy, usefulness, adequacy, timeliness or completeness) in respect of any information (including without limitation any statement, figures, opinion, view or estimate) provided herein is given by OCBC Bank and it should not be relied upon as such. OCBC Bank does not undertake an obligation to update the information or to correct any inaccuracy that may become apparent at a later time. All information presented is subject to change without notice. OCBC Bank shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage whatsoever arising directly or indirectly howsoever in connection with or as a result of any person acting on any information provided herein. The information provided herein may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or future performance of countries, assets, markets or companies. Actual events or results may differ materially. Past performance figures are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance. Any reference to any specific company, financial product or asset class in whatever way is used for illustrative purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation on the same.
The contents hereof may not be reproduced or disseminated in whole or in part without OCBC Bank's written consent.
Cross-Border Marketing Disclaimer
1. Indonesia: The offering of the investment product in reliance of this document is not registered under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations, and is not intended to constitute a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations. The investment product may not be offered or sold, directly or indirectly, within Indonesia or to citizens (wherever they are domiciled or located), entities or residents, in any manner which constitutes a public offering of securities under the Indonesian Capital Market Law and its implementing regulations.
2. Malaysia: Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (?OCBC Bank?) does not hold any licence, registration or approval to carry on any regulated business in Malaysia (including but not limited to any businesses regulated under the Capital Markets & Services Act 2007 of Malaysia), nor does it hold itself out as carrying on or purport to carry on any such business in Malaysia. Any services provided by OCBC Bank to residents of Malaysia are provided solely on an offshore basis from outside Malaysia, either as a result of ?reverse enquiry? on the part of the Malaysian residents or where OCBC Bank has been retained outside Malaysia to provide such services. As an integral part of the provision of such services from outside Malaysia, OCBC Bank may from time to time make available to such residents documents and information making reference to capital markets products (for example, in connection with the provision of fund management or investment advisory services outside of Malaysia). Nothing in such documents or information is intended to be construed as or constitute the making available of, or an offer or invitation to subscribe for or purchase any such capital markets product.
3. Myanmar: OCBC Bank does not hold any licence or registration under the FIML or other Myanmar legislation to carry on, nor do they purport to carry on, any regulated activity in Myanmar. All activities relating to the client are conducted strictly on an offshore basis. The customers shall ensure that it is their responsibility to comply with all applicable local laws before entering into discussion or contracts with the Bank.
4. Taiwan: The provision of the information and the offer of the service concerned herewith have not been and will not be registered with the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan pursuant to relevant laws and regulations of Taiwan and may not be provided or offered in Taiwan or in circumstances which requires a prior registration or approval of the Financial Supervisory Commission of Taiwan. No person or entity in Taiwan has been authorised to provide the information and to offer the service in Taiwan.
5. Thailand: Please note that OCBC Bank does not maintain any licences, authorisations or registrations in Thailand nor is any of the material and information contained, or the relevant securities or products specified herein approved or registered in Thailand. Interests in the relevant securities or products may not be offered or sold within Thailand. The attached information has been provided at your request for informational purposes only and shall not be copied or redistributed to any other person without the prior consent of OCBC Bank or its relevant entities and in no way constitutes an offer, solicitation, advertisement or advice of, or in relation to, the relevant securities or products by OCBC Bank or any other entities in OCBC Bank?s group in Thailand.
6. Hong Kong SAR: This document is for information only and is not intended for anyone other than the recipient. It has not been reviewed by any regulatory authority in Hong Kong. It is not an offer or a solicitation to deal in any of the financial products referred to herein or to enter into any legal relations, nor an advice or a recommendation with respect to such financial products. It does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and the particular needs of any recipient or Investor. This document may not be published, circulated, reproduced or distributed in whole or in part to any other person without OCBC Bank?s prior written consent. This document is not intended for distribution to, publication or use by any person in any jurisdiction outside Hong Kong, or such other jurisdiction as the Bank may determine in its absolute discretion, where such distribution, publication or use would be contrary to applicable law or would subject the Bank and its related corporations, connected persons, associated persons and/or affiliates to any registration, licensing or other requirements within such jurisdiction.
? Copyright 2016 - OCBC Bank | All Rights Reserved. Co. Reg. No.: 193200032W